💬 Contact Us
Register | Login
Robotics
Home Contests Arena Inventions Past Results Forum FAQs
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 2011-12 State Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 State Arena

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 pm 

In rule 5.0.6, it starts out referring to the area where you must return the robot to change programs, repair, or rebuild it as the Decontamination Chamber, which is where the robot begins. However, it says you must restart the robot touching the Safety Zone and the wall nearest to it. The Decontamination Chamber has 2 walls directly beside it. Is this simply a section of the rules from last year that was not properly removed, or is the Waste Disposal area also the Safety Zone?

Also, rule 5.0.7 says adding, removing, reorganizing, or manipulating game pieces being held within the robot will result in disqualification. Will this rule be ignored since you said we may take a touch penalty and cause the depleted fuel rods to break apart, or will the judges disqualify us for altering the rods? Maybe the word "handle" just means you cannot physically touch the nuclear material within the robot? Either way, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:09 am 

Landon wrote:
In rule 5.0.6, it starts out referring to the area where you must return the robot to change programs, repair, or rebuild it as the Decontamination Chamber, which is where the robot begins. However, it says you must restart the robot touching the Safety Zone and the wall nearest to it. The Decontamination Chamber has 2 walls directly beside it. Is this simply a section of the rules from last year that was not properly removed, or is the Waste Disposal area also the Safety Zone?

Very astute observation. Rule 5.0.6 should read as follows:

While the robot is “disabled” within the Decontamination Chamber, the team may change programs or repair/rebuild the robot. No new outside parts may be added to the robot, but parts may be removed – and once they are removed, and the robot restarted, they may not be re-added to the robot. The robot also may not be rebuilt to be physically larger than it was when it was disabled. The robot may be started again anywhere within the Decontamination Chamber as long as a drive wheel is physically touching the Decontamination Chamber AND the robot is touching the two walls closest to the Decontamination Chamber.

Landon wrote:
Also, rule 5.0.7 says adding, removing, reorganizing, or manipulating game pieces being held within the robot will result in disqualification. Will this rule be ignored since you said we may take a touch penalty and cause the depleted fuel rods to break apart, or will the judges disqualify us for altering the rods? Maybe the word "handle" just means you cannot physically touch the nuclear material within the robot? Either way, I would rather be safe than sorry.

It does mean that you may not physically touch the nuclear material within the robot. Shifting or settling of game pieces inside your robot while you are handling your robot is inevitable and impossible to control.

-Danny

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:50 am 

Okay, I may be getting the rules from the wrong website, but rule 5.0.6 from the copy found at http://www.tcea.org/documents/robotics/Final_Rules.pdf states: "While the robot is “disabled” within the Chamber, the team may change programs or repair/rebuild the robot. No new outside parts may be added to the robot, but parts may be removed – and once they are removed, and the robot restarted, they may not be re-added to the robot. The robot also may not be rebuilt to be physically larger than it was when it was disabled. The robot may be started again anywhere within the Safety Zone as long as some part of the robot is physically touching the Safety Zone AND the wall closest to the Safety Zone." That's the copy we've been using so far. And thank you for clarifying 5.0.7.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:59 am 

Oh! My mistake. I read your reply incorrectly. Sorry about that. Thank you!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:04 am 

Landon wrote:
Okay, I may be getting the rules from the wrong website, but rule 5.0.6 from the copy found at ... states:

Yes, and it does in fact state that (and that is the correct location). But I said it "should" - that doesn't mean it "does." ;) For all intents and purposes, you are to use the version I've modified here in this thread, and not the version in the rules - the version in the rules is clearly impossible/wrong/copy-paste-goof. Thank you for pointing that out.

-Danny

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:34 pm 

Yes, I caught it a little too late. Thanks again for the clarification, and you're welcome.

Board index » 2011-12 State Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 State Arena