💬 Contact Us
Register | Login
Robotics
Home Contests Arena Inventions Past Results Forum FAQs
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 2011-12 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 Area Arena

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:55 am 

On the picture that was posted on the message board it has a black pellet, followed by another black pellet, then two reds, looking at your video on you tube you have a black pellet followed by a red, and the other you tube video posted it has it the same. My question is will it start off with a black then a red or the other way around. We are following the picture you put on the message board on how the checkers should be placed on the Nuclear Materials Reclamation Sluice.

grace :?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:04 pm 

ggomez2005 wrote:
On the picture that was posted on the message board it has a black pellet, followed by another black pellet, then two reds, looking at your video on you tube you have a black pellet followed by a red, and the other you tube video posted it has it the same. My question is will it start off with a black then a red or the other way around. We are following the picture you put on the message board on how the checkers should be placed on the Nuclear Materials Reclamation Sluice.

The video on YouTube is for informational purposes only, so are any images posted on this message board - they're designed to help you understand the rules, NOT to be used to take the place of the rules. If you want official answers about how the field is set up, there is an AMAZING section in the rules labeled, "4.2.6 Field Setup" on Page 16. It answers all question pertaining to this year's game as it relates to setting up the field. If you remove everything from the board prior to reading the section, hopefully the section will guide you step by step on how to set up a field. If it does not, please let me know.

-Danny

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:38 pm 

Yes, I read the whole section, my question is are they going to be randomly placed on the horizontal marks. Black, red, black, red or Black, Black, Red, Red???

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:22 pm 

ggomez2005 wrote:
Yes, I read the whole section, my question is are they going to be randomly placed on the horizontal marks.

Page 17, 3rd paragraph, 3rd sentence:

"Two (2) red checkers and two (2) black checkers will be placed in random order on these [Sluice Materials Collection] marks – one checker per mark – and it doesn’t matter which checkers are placed on each mark as long as the opposing team has the exact same configuration."

-Danny

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:38 pm 

What about how they are placed? stars up (flat) vs. kings up (dome shape)

I wonder about this because,The variation betwwen the two sides effects how the checker (pellet) is picked up or sweeped into the robot. Was this ever discussed for proper placement or is it left for randomization like the rest of the field.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:45 pm 

abarrera wrote:
What about how they are placed? stars up (flat) vs. kings up (dome shape)
I wonder about this because,The variation betwwen the two sides effects how the checker (pellet) is picked up or sweeped into the robot. Was this ever discussed for proper placement or is it left for randomization like the rest of the field.

In the rules, this was omitted - anything omitted in the rules does not matter. The variation between the two sides and how they affect how they're picked up is completely implementation-specific; they slide across the mat the same either way, which is all I cared about. Hence, this was left up to the individual referees. In the referee training video I made for the referees, I told them this was a "does not matter."

-Danny

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:21 am 

Thank you very much. I was just curious about it. The judges and I discussed this and it makes perfect sense for it to be a "does not matter" issue. Oh well, so goes the life of a robot!

On another note, 300 teams in area 1....WOW!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:44 pm 

abarrera wrote:
Thank you very much. I was just curious about it. The judges and I discussed this and it makes perfect sense for it to be a "does not matter" issue. Oh well, so goes the life of a robot!

On another note, 300 teams in area 1....WOW!!

Yeah, Area 1 is the poster child of explosive growth. Maybe they're a good candidate for a qualifier system or "area scrimmages" to whittle the teams down to a manageable level prior to the actual area competition. But it's good to see that many students participating!

-Danny

Board index » 2011-12 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 Area Arena