💬 Contact Us
Register | Login
Robotics
Home Contests Arena Inventions Past Results Forum FAQs
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 2011-12 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 Area Arena

Post subject: Touching the Walls 5.0.2
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:52 pm 

I am so confused. Can I get a visual of this rule? I am probably making it harder than it is. But One Dirve wheel has to touch the decontamination chamber and touching the two walls?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:50 am 

My understanding is that the drive wheel must be touching (inside) the Decontamination Chamber AND (the robot) must be touching the two walls closest to the chamber. This is the way that I have understood the rule and also the way I have explained it to my students.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:29 pm 

abarrera wrote:
My understanding is that the drive wheel must be touching (inside) the Decontamination Chamber AND (the robot) must be touching the two walls closest to the chamber. This is the way that I have understood the rule and also the way I have explained it to my students.

That is absolutely correct. The purpose for this is two-fold:

1. I want you to be able to restart your robot, but I want you to be required to start in the corner - so your robot must be touching both walls.
  2. I also want there to be some kind of size or design limitation so that you cannot have a massively unfolding robot that still touches the WEST and SOUTH walls (from the team perspective) but the wheels of the bot are still in the middle of the field (since there's no size rule once the game starts) - that would be a little over the top. So I am forcing you to have a drive wheel in the Decontamination Area, so at least you would have to design yourself a way towards a massively-expanding robot.

-Danny

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:39 pm 

Okay, my students have both drive wheels in the decontamination area and their robots are touching both walls is that okay???

roboteach

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:15 pm 

ggomez2005 wrote:
Okay, my students have both drive wheels in the decontamination area and their robots are touching both walls is that okay???

The rule (5.0.2) states, "Robots must start the match with at least one drive wheel touching the
Decontamination Chamber AND must be touching the two walls closest to the Decontamination Chamber.
" What you have done certainly appears to be meeting or exceeding the minimum qualifications required.

-Danny

Board index » 2011-12 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 Area Arena