💬 Contact Us
Register | Login
Robotics
Home Contests Arena Inventions Past Results Forum FAQs
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 2011-12 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 Area Arena

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:14 am 

Sponsors,

I have a question from another sponsor that might get some good feedback from you. Please read below.

I bought the RGB sensors because it looks like they really need them to be “close” to successful but I can’t figure out any programming steps to put on them. Any advice where to look?

Katie Treat | Texas Computer Education Association
Ph: (800) 282-8232 | Direct: (512) 450-5404 | Fax: (512) 476-8574
treat@tcea.org | www.tcea.org

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:11 am 

KTreat wrote:
I bought the RGB sensors because it looks like they really need them to be “close” to successful but I can’t figure out any programming steps to put on them. Any advice where to look?

The Color Sensor can be treated just like a Light Sensor (but you need to use the Color Sensor programming block), except the Color Sensor provides you with a value that represents the color of the object under it (instead of an IR reflectivity value like the Light Sensor provides). Depending on the type of Color Sensor you're using, there are various blocks/routines/libraries provided by the manufacturer of the device to read the sensor. If you're using NXT-G with the 3-LED LEGO sensor, the blocks come standard with NXT 2.0 or greater; If you're using the 2-LED HiTechnic sensor, you will want to download their NXT-G blocks ( http://www.hitechnic.com/downloadnew.php?category=13 ) for use with your sensor.

I am not going to answer this question any further, because I am not going to influence any checker or sensing algorithms teams have - I'm not going to tell you how to solve the problem. Much of what you are going to have to do is trial-and-error to determine what works best for your robot and your team.

Additional Note - Purchasing the Color Sensor, in my opinion, is not a "silver bullet" that will help you succeed in this competition. If anything, it makes your job more programming-intensive which can in some ways actually make your job harder. I welcome and encourage teams to explore all of their options, and the Color Sensor is definitely one of them, when determining how to solve this problem. Often times it's best to think like a robot - not a human being - when thinking about how to solve the problem; the process of looking at the problem in a different way can help you break out of the "group think" mindset. Whenever I approach a problem, if I can only think of one way to solve it then I know there's something I'm missing; probably a more elegant solution, a more efficient solution, or a much more simple solution. When designing this challenge, I made sure I could find 5 unique ways to solve each task so that I'm not forcing anyone into any specific solution on the mat. To be honest with you, the use of the color sensor wasn't even on my list for this task/challenge - only because I didn't have a color sensor with me when I developed my 5 solutions. So this challenge is TOTALLY doable with or without a color sensor.

Good Luck!
-Danny

Board index » 2011-12 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 Area Arena