💬 Contact Us
Register | Login
Robotics
Home Contests Arena Inventions Past Results Forum FAQs
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 2011-12 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 Area Arena

Post subject: TCEA Mat irregularities
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm 

Hi - I have a question. We just received our new mat today, and it is about 1/2 inch to an inch smaller than the arena box we have that was build to specs according to the instructions. Is this as it should be, or do I need to call the company for a replacement?

THanks!
Christine

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:45 pm 

cmoore00 wrote:
Is this as it should be, or do I need to call the company for a replacement?

To be completely honest (which is the only way to be) I cannot answer that question - I have not actually gotten one of the new mats, only the materials samples. However, I bet I know why your mat isn't the size we believe it should/could be. If you measure from North to South, then from East to West along the entire length of the material, do you get the same value and what is it? Does your mat only have enough material to cover the printed surface, or do you have a 1/2" - to - 1" border around the printed area?

My guess is that the new mats don't have the same 1/2"-to-1" border around the printed material that they had a couple years ago (last year's mats didn't have the extra border around them, if I recall correctly). If that is the case, then there's not necessarily anything wrong with your mat, it just doesn't have the border. So what you do is measure your mat, and if you measure 46" in one direction then leave a 1" gap between the two walls closest to the Decontamination Chamber (and if you measure 47" then leave a 1/2" gap). That will orient your mat correctly on the playing surface.

What we did not want was 1/2" of border on one side and 3" of border on the other, which is what happened last year - the mats were all printed correctly (the size of the printed area was correct) but the "extra" mat surrounding the printed area was non-uniform.

-Danny

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:19 pm 

Ok...I will go measure. However, I am concerned about the shifting, etc and how will this be different at contest time?

Thanks for your help!
Christine

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:16 am 

cmoore00 wrote:
Ok...I will go measure. However, I am concerned about the shifting, etc and how will this be different at contest time?

If your mat is like that, everyone's mat will be like that. There should be minimal shifting due to the tape on the edges of the mat...

Rules wrote:
Step 8 – Place the mats on the board. You may use a thin double-sided tape to adhere the outer edges of the mats to the plywood surface. It is recommended that you clean the plywood surface first, however, as there will most likely be sawdust on the wood from drilling the pilot holes. Align the mats with the outer field corners (and not to center).

-Danny

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:17 pm 

Thanks!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:18 pm 

Hi,
There appear to be some irregularities in the size of print on the mats. We ordered 2 mats. Both are uniform in 'height' (North-South when oriented according to the pictures in the rules). However, the width varies. One mat is 118.2 cm wide; the other, 119.2 cm. (I measured to the black line that marks the border of the playing field and ignored the trim area.) The distance from the left black border to the center of the bottom right nuclear reactor site is 92.7 cm on one mat and 93.4 cm on the other.

I know perfection is impossible, and I doubt that many teams will be affected by the variation. Nevertheless, after all the concerns expressed last year, I thought I should point this out.

If the mats are perfectly centered, the effect of differences in mats should be minimized. Can we encourage meet organizers to make sure this is so?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:43 pm 

physteach wrote:
I know perfection is impossible, and I doubt that many teams will be affected by the variation. Nevertheless, after all the concerns expressed last year, I thought I should point this out.

Thank you!

physteach wrote:
If the mats are perfectly centered, the effect of differences in mats should be minimized. Can we encourage meet organizers to make sure this is so?

You should insist on it. Though realize the meet organizers won't be perfect either, so some variation may still exist. Please offer to help center the mats as soon as you arrive on-site, especially if you see that it has not been done yet. We always appreciate a little extra help when we can get it. :)

-Danny

Board index » 2011-12 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 Area Arena