Board index » 2011-12 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 Area Arena

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:12 pm 

The scoring for this task for ADVANCED is:
each depleted (black) fuel rod within waste disposal: 50 pts
each depleted (black) fuel pellet within waste disposal: 5 pts
each depleted (black) fuel pellet within the robot: 20 pts

2 depleted rods within waste disposal that should equal: 50 x 2 = 100
2 depleted pellets within robot should equal: 20 x 2 = 40

How is the maximum points awarded 240 points? Do you get "double credit" by moving the depleted rods to disposal area AND put them in robot?

If 5 pellets make a rod then you could have 12 depleted pellets within robot would equal: 10 (2 rods x 5 pellets) + 2 (pellets) = 12 (total depleted pellets)
12 x 20 = 140 pts

100 pts for moving depleted rods to disposal area
140 pts for containing depleted pellets within robot
240 maximum points

Am I correct?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 pm 

abarrera wrote:
How is the maximum points awarded 240 points? Do you get "double credit" by moving the depleted rods to disposal area AND put them in robot?

The short answer: Check your math ;) .

The long answer: No, in "Hot Rod" there's no way to get "double credit" - unless you consider not getting deducted for penalties as "getting credit" along with the task points themselves. But I tried really hard for there not to be any double-super-secret-tongue-in-cheek way to stack points (at least not within the same task).

If you look at the board, there are 2 Depleted (black) Fuel Rods and 2 Depleted (black) Fuel Pellets. In Advanced, the rods themselves are composed of 5 pellets each. If you "decompose" the two rods you get 10 pellets from the rods, and 2 more pellets on the field, making 12 total pellets.

12 x 20 (for getting each pellet into robot) = 240

The only other question you have to ask is, "What happens if I put the entire rod into my robot, and it remains intact as a rod - how is THAT scored?" Well, that doesn't carry any points now does it? :)

-Danny

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 am 

WOW! I really can not believe that I posted that not realizing I had missed my math...yes everything makes perfect sense now. THANKS!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:59 pm 

ddiaz wrote:
The only other question you have to ask is, "What happens if I put the entire rod into my robot, and it remains intact as a rod - how is THAT scored?" Well, that doesn't carry any points now does it?

I wanted to comment on this, because I actually didn't think this was going to be possible/likely - but a team this weekend showed me (at least once) that I was incorrect. They managed to pull in an entire rod into their robot intact, and it remained intact the entire game. It was actually pretty awesome, and it was accomplished easier than I thought it would be. However, they did not score any points for their work - which was a real shame.

If you end up in this predicament, let me offer up one "strategy" suggestion (yeah I know, some sponsors feel that when I offer up strategies that help other teams score more points that it's a cardinal sin; at least in this case, I feel it's a weakness in the rules that needs to be adjusted):

Take a touch penalty and shake your robot before resetting it; that breaks up the rod so you can score the points you've earned. The points you gain for being able to now score the pellets in your robot far outweigh the touch penalty.

-Danny

Board index » 2011-12 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2011-12 Area Arena