💬 Contact Us
Register | Login
Robotics
Home Contests Arena Inventions Past Results Forum FAQs
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 2017-18 Area Robotics » 2017-18 Area Arena

Post subject: Ice
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:42 pm 

I have read through all the topics dealing with the ice, but I need some clarification. Can my team use a Lego with a peice of tape to retrieve the ice? Also once the ice is retrieved can the robot then drive and extend the lego with the ice on it above the base? Or does the robot have to be completely in the base for it to count? And is the ice not considered part of the robot if it is still taped to the robot at the end of the match?

Post subject: Re: Ice
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:01 am 

Great question.

According to section 4.1.8 extra items may be used for functionality, but not for structural stability. Tape used in the way that you describe is functional and should be allowed.

Per section 1.5.3 the ice must end up in base camp to receive points. If your ice is dangling over base camp but clearly within the plane created by the lines denoting base camp it should be good.

There is no rule requiring the ice to be separate from the robot nor one preventing the robot from being in base camp.

I hope that this helps.

Kate

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:12 pm 

I would just like to confirm, does the ice have to detach from the robot and be touching the mat? If so, it means the robot will have to release the ice somehow and place it in base camp.

I thought the only things allowed in base camp was the checkers and cotton balls and the ice.

Thanks for your input.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:07 am 

Per section 1.5.3, the ice does not have to touch the mat nor does it require it to be detached from the robot.

Per section 1.1.1 the only things not allowed in base camp are radioactive soil samples or alien lifeforms. So there is no reason why the robot or part of the robot can't be in base camp.

Kate

Board index » 2017-18 Area Robotics » 2017-18 Area Arena