Register | Login
Robotics
Home Contests Arena Inventions Past Results Forum FAQs
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 2017-18 Area Robotics » 2017-18 Area Arena

Post subject: Help for a new coach?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:03 pm 

Hi y'all,

I just took over our Middle School robotics class after our former coach of 20+ years retired. I am scrambling trying to get my head above water and would appreciate any help or guidance that could be offered.

I have managed to set up an account on the forum and on the TCEA.org page. It looks like I need to get a purchase order for the membership fee but I'm not sure if that is for me as the coach or the school as a whole. Also, do each of my students need memberships too?

I did find the videos and rule book for this year's challenge but I am more than just a little intimidated by what I've seen. I'm looking at YouTube and as many Lego sites as I can find to figure out exactly what these EV3 systems are capable of and how to get them there.

Thank you in advance for any help or direction you can give,

Coach Wimberley
Odessa, Tx

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:08 am 

Mr_Wimberley wrote:
Hi y'all,

I just took over our Middle School robotics class after our former coach of 20+ years retired. I am scrambling trying to get my head above water and would appreciate any help or guidance that could be offered.

I have managed to set up an account on the forum and on the TCEA.org page. It looks like I need to get a purchase order for the membership fee but I'm not sure if that is for me as the coach or the school as a whole. Also, do each of my students need memberships too?

I did find the videos and rule book for this year's challenge but I am more than just a little intimidated by what I've seen. I'm looking at YouTube and as many Lego sites as I can find to figure out exactly what these EV3 systems are capable of and how to get them there.

Thank you in advance for any help or direction you can give,

Coach Wimberley
Odessa, Tx

Welcome to the group!

To address your first concern, only the coach needs a TCEA membership. The students do not need one. Your campus should be purchasing that for you. In our district, our IT department actually sponsors our district's TCEA robotics teams and pays for our memberships. But again, if you do need to pay for it yourself, you only need your own membership. As long as that is taken care of before the team submission deadline(which varies by area) you'll be fine. It doesn't have to be before you start practicing or anything.

As far as building techniques and things go, there are all sorts of tutorials and things online you can research. You're kids will be in charge of most of that and you'll be surprised how creative they can get. If you have students returning from previous years, let them teach you how it works. That is how I first got started.

Do you have your kits already? Feel free to ask any other questions you need.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:55 pm 

Thank you for the help!

We are a campus club and I just found out that we have a little money left over from last year's t-shirt sales. My principal said I could use that for membership and buying practice mats for the arena challenge :D

We have spent the last week doing inventory and putting together working sets. It looks like we have about 40 working EV3 kits and a lot of spare parts and expansion sets. I have 4 sections of robotics with about 20 students each so I was thrilled to have a set for every pair of students!

I noticed that the EV3 has an SD slot, is the standard memory typically enough or should we ask the parents to send SD memory cards?

Thanks again, I'm excited but overwhelmed at the same time.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:07 pm 

Mr_Wimberley wrote:
Thank you for the help!

We are a campus club and I just found out that we have a little money left over from last year's t-shirt sales. My principal said I could use that for membership and buying practice mats for the arena challenge :D

We have spent the last week doing inventory and putting together working sets. It looks like we have about 40 working EV3 kits and a lot of spare parts and expansion sets. I have 4 sections of robotics with about 20 students each so I was thrilled to have a set for every pair of students!

I noticed that the EV3 has an SD slot, is the standard memory typically enough or should we ask the parents to send SD memory cards?

Thanks again, I'm excited but overwhelmed at the same time.

The programs themselves are really small. The SD card would only be necessary if you're storing audio files on the bots for inventions or something but even that is unlikely. That is great that you have so many kits. Do you have practice tables? There is a field build guide where you found the manual. Short version is that you need a 4'x8' sheet of plywood, walls, and hardware for a full game table for two teams.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:55 pm 

We have one 4x8 table but the walls got built on top of the plywood instead of on the outside so our new mats don't quite fit. Looks like I'll be doing some wood working this weekend!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 pm 

Mr_Wimberley wrote:
We have one 4x8 table but the walls got built on top of the plywood instead of on the outside so our new mats don't quite fit. Looks like I'll be doing some wood working this weekend!

Ouch, someone didn't follow the directions when those were built. Make sure you get the appropriate hardware.

Board index » 2017-18 Area Robotics » 2017-18 Area Arena