💬 Contact Us
Register | Login
Robotics
Home Contests Arena Inventions Past Results Forum FAQs
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 2017-18 Area Robotics » 2017-18 Area Arena

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:06 pm 

First of all, thank you to all of your that have helped with my questions in this forum, through e-mail, telephone, and in person. It has been a heck of a learning curve this first year and I owe a lot of it to y'all. Here are a few things that I have learned this season upon reflection.

1. Always confirm your transportation before tournament morning. Dispatch probably wont answer the phone at 7am on a Saturday. (side note, the practice tables will fit perfectly on the hardtop of a 4-door jeep)

2. Never assume your team has everything packed, even when they tell you that they definitely do. Going back for batteries, laptops, programming cables, etc really puts a cramp in your schedule.

3. I did not know that the Intermediate teams would not be allowed into the pits until the Advanced group was completely done. I did find out that staking a claim on common area electrical outlets is a vital skill for any competitive team!

4. 95% of teams and their coaches are very friendly and helpful. They will probably even loan you that 8 slot beam that has mysteriously disappeared at the exact wrong time. I vow to never be in the 5% of people that are, "That Guy"...

5. Sitting and wondering what your team is doing about the critical failure that you just witnessed as they get ready for the next round is nauseating. I don't know that there is a cure for that one.

6. Mystery Tasks suck. No offense to the game designers but there has got to be a better way to implement the concept. I am not opposed to it, in fact I think it is a great idea. However, when your satellite deployment is designed on backwards movement of the bot and your mystery task incorporates the same backwards movement it creates issues not easily solved. I would like to see the "First movement" rule adjusted to allow the students to fit the mystery task into the program at a point that makes sense for their program.

7. There are WAY more than one ways to skin a cat, or build an expanding tower...

8. Never trust a color sensor.

9. Objects in the ALF landing zone are smaller than they appear.

10. Hanging out with your team throughout the course of a tournament day is a lot more fun that you ever thought it would be.

Thanks again for a great season, hopefully next year it will last a few weeks longer for us :o)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 am 

Mr_Wimberley wrote:
5. Sitting and wondering what your team is doing about the critical failure that you just witnessed as they get ready for the next round is nauseating. I don't know that there is a cure for that one.

Amen to this one.

Board index » 2017-18 Area Robotics » 2017-18 Area Arena