💬 Contact Us
Register | Login
Robotics
Home Contests Arena Inventions Past Results Forum FAQs
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » 2013-14 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2013-14 Arena Referees

Post subject: YMTC - Center Scuffle
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:28 pm 

This is a "You Make The Call" (YMTC) posting, designed to give referees an "interesting" situation and ask how they would judge that situation. Once enough discussion has been posted here, I'll give my interpretation for how the call should be made. Please post with your answers - there are no "wrong" answers (just ones that need further clarification).

An opposing team's robot has a long part on it that is about 6 inches long. The opposing team's robot slams into the center wall, and that long part somehow manages to get tangled up in the wires of your team's robot (the robot on your side of the board). Both robots become stuck at the center wall. Your team is crying FOUL, and the other team claims it was an accident. The match ends much as it started, with both robots stuck to each other at the center wall. What do you do?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:04 pm 

The robot that get's stuck should get a free reset, althought this may not help.
The other team should not be penalized, as I see this as part of the "Randomness" of the game, that mimics real world. The team with the interfeering robot should be required to reset their robot as well to remove the obstruction and would suffer a time penalty for what ever count they are currently at.
I would not attempt to proove or disproove malitious intent, as if they are good enough to create a program that can time an attack :twisted: where the oppenent would fall into the trap, they are probably going to focus their programming on more constructive behavior.

And yes I know I am a terrible speller...

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:57 pm 

Danny,

This might need to be another topic, but I could see this coming up at other competitions.
We had several cases of "Humanly" created earth quakes. The participants would be in such a hurry to retrieve their robots, they did as little as bump the table, moving the table a 1 foot, to as far as nearly knocking the arena on the ground. Now of course we incorporated this into our statements of precautions and reminders before the start of each round. But what would you do if a participant acutally moves game pieces, robots, towers, etc as the result of bumping into the Arena table?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:05 pm 

jgreiner4073 wrote:
We had several cases of "Humanly" created earth quakes. The participants would be in such a hurry to retrieve their robots, they did as little as bump the table, moving the table a 1 foot, to as far as nearly knocking the arena on the ground. Now of course we incorporated this into our statements of precautions and reminders before the start of each round. But what would you do if a participant acutally moves game pieces, robots, towers, etc as the result of bumping into the Arena table?

We had this situation in Region 1 as well. What we did was allowed the opposing team (the team that didn't bump the table) to immediately stop play and reschedule their match. The team that bumped the table was forced to keep playing and could not reschedule.

-Danny

Board index » 2013-14 Area Robotics (Do Not Use) » 2013-14 Arena Referees